Ikea Dresser makeover 

I really love the idea of up-cycling furniture. Not only because I really dislike waste, but also because I love one of a kind items. Finding old furniture at thrift stores, yard sales and online, is really fun for me.

Just before we got married, Rob and I upgraded from our studio apartment, to a 2 bedroom. We were excited to finally buy some furniture, but like many people living in Toronto without a vehicle, we found ourselves at Ikea.  As a lover of all things unique, it was bittersweet. 5 years and 2 kids later, we moved to the suburbs. My first mission was to find and makeover, old furniture. I found some really great pieces at our local Value Village, but (since I’m “time poor” these days) I have yet to paint any of them. It will happen….eventually.

When I became pregnant with our third child, I decided to makeover one of our Ikea pieces for her room. I had been wanting to experiment with chalk paint for a long time, and since I was busy with my 2 year old, sanding and priming furniture was not going to happen. So, this was the perfect opportunity to test out Chalk Paint.

I forgot to take a before picture, so I pulled this one off the internet.

Before:

IMG_3531

Getting started…

First coat…IMG_3505

OK, so this was my first time working with chalk paint, (and my first attempt at making over a large piece of furniture). When I did the first coat, I wasn’t sure how I felt about the medium. Chalk paint is very different from other paints I’ve worked with, and I wasn’t really diggin’ it. It wasn’t brushing on as smoothly as I had hoped. Then, I read that it could be diluted with water, so for my second coat, I diluted it quite a bit, (about 1:1) and I really enjoyed working with it! I did a third coat of paint after that (again, very diluted). I liked how quickly I got this project done, and I went on to paint the boys’ old crib to match. Side note: Painting a crib is NOT fun.

I loved how fresh the dresser looked once it was painted, and had no intentions of putting the original knobs back on the drawers. I had a bunch of knobs that I picked up a year earlier for another project that I never got around to, but luckily they were perfect for the dresser. I ended up purchasing a few more and swapped out a few that didn’t work well with the overall colour scheme.

I was really pleased with the final product.

IMG_3528

Rob waxed the dresser for me. It needed to be done and he wouldn’t let me apply the wax myself because I was very pregnant at the time, so I don’t really know what to say about that process.

After I painted the room and had new flooring and baseboards installed, the nursery looked great!

I really do love making over furniture. Hopefully I’ll get around to doing another piece soon. Here’s one last before and after.

IMG_3531

Before

20170925_174038

After

Check back soon, to see what we do next….hopefully I’ll have another up-cycled project to share with you.

-Kati

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s